Best Shows of 2007
1. Titan, Earthless and The Assemblehead in Sunburst Sound at the Ken Club
The Ken Club noise box was perfect for this show. All stops aside. Earthless is the best live experience SD had to offer last year here, hear?
2. Acid Mothers Guru Guru at the Casbah
At first I wasn't sure and I walked out a believer. Many's drumming lit the night on fire and Kawabata and Tsuyama showed us another of their infinite sides.
3. Acid Mothers Temple and the Melting Paraiso at the Troubadour in LA
The first and only US tour with Kitigawa on the Theremin and vox. Pure noise abrasion, noted primarily for the experiment and the freak out.
4. Neko Case and Eric Bachmann at The Belly Up
Ever heard an angel? Ever spent time in a giant room with a thousand people as the reverb drenched voices of goddesses descended?
5. Flaming Lips Free Show Downtown
Best antiwar rally/party of the year. Thank god some artists take the responsibility to condemn the killing and the war machine. Especially great to see in this war town with a crowd full of military.
6. Indian Jewelry, Residual Echoes and Riververb at Scolari's Office
The sound, vibe, strobe light, smoke machine, and twisted vocals ate into your late night brain with repetitive drums and extended pieces that made you move through the room out of your body.
7. SunnO))), Earth and Weedeater at the Casbah - Southern Lord 777 Tour
Best wall of sound ever encountered at the Casbah. through the smoke you could see the waves of sound. Meditative and enchanting.
8. Richard Thompson at the Belly Up
Richard's singing was out of this world, it was really moving, strong and solid and excellent. His presence were surprisingly powerful and spiritual.
9. SD Street Scene
Particulary moving were Ozomatli, Bad Brains, T Payne and Air.